Mirrors are extremely important!
Yes, you read that right. We use mirrors when we get ready in the morning, while playing dress-up, to practice our dance moves, or even at the gym. We’re always using mirrors. Therefore, you must keep the mirror sparkling clean to avoid fogs or haze.
Mirrors are dirt-prone because they are exposed to things like little scoops of toothpaste, hand smearing, hairsprays, etc. So, how do you clean your mirror to make it appear spotless? We answered this and more in this article.
Why Is Cleaning a Mirror So Difficult?
Cleaning is not rocket science, and it is a fairly easy task. However, it may appear difficult and frustrating if it’s not done right. Sometimes, even after a thorough cleaning session, the stains remain.
Some reasons why cleaning a mirror is difficult are:
- Greasy Stains
As stated earlier, the mirror is constantly exposed to materials that can be tough to remove, such as greasy substances like toothpaste, creams, and mouthwash smears. Cleaning the mirror might seem futile if these stains are not first attended to. Before cleaning the mirror, use a soft cloth dipped in alcohol to remove these stubborn stains.
- Type of Cleaner
Not every cleaning solution is right for your mirror. For example, some cleaners may leave smears and smudges. Soapy cleaners do this, and they are not ideal for mirrors and windows.
- Choice of Cleaning Material
Even with the best cleaners, your cleaning session may be futile if you use the wrong type of cloth after applying the cleaner. The wrong material can result in streaks, scratches, or lint on the mirror. A microfiber cloth is an advisable material to use for mirror cleaning.
Below is a 4-step process to follow in cleaning your mirror properly.
- First, tackle stubborn stains by dipping a soft cloth into alcohol before using it to wipe the mirror.
- The next step is to spray the mirror with your DIY cleaning solution or a labeled glass cleaner.
- With a microfiber cloth, begin to wipe the mirror. Move from edge to edge for an effective clean. Do not wipe in a circular motion.
- To ensure that you have done a proper job, stand at different angles in the room to see the parts you may have missed. Then continue until satisfied.
5 Best Mirror Cleaning Products
Are you looking for the best mirror cleaning products? Or do you wish to change the one you use presently? Indeed, your mirror deserves the best cleaning solutions because these products can restore it to its prime.
The best glass cleaners remove water stains, smudges, and residue, leaving the mirrors with a streak-free surface and perfect reflection. Regarding safety, these mirror cleaners come in various alternatives, including fragrance-free, kid-safe, all-natural, and commercial-grade products.
Below are the five best mirror cleaning products.
- Windex Mirror Cleaner: This cleaning solution lightens and brightens your home. It works on smears, smudges, dirt, fingerprints, etc.
- Sprayway Ammonia-Free Glass Cleaner: It gives a streak-free, crystal-clear finish. It is ammonia free which makes it safe for tinted windows.
- Hope’s Perfect Glass Cleaner: This 100% streak-free glass cleaning spray is specifically designed with a no-residue formula to eliminate the haze other glass cleaners leave behind.
- Invisible Glass Mirror Cleaner: It easily removes fingerprints, smudges, dirt, grease, and smoke haze on glass surfaces.
- Method Glass Cleaner Spray: This solution has plant-based shine power and eliminates dirt without streaks or stank.
What Types of Cloth to Use to Clean a Mirror: How to Clean a Mirror Without Streaks?
Newspapers, rags, and paper towels previously popular for cleaning mirrors tend to leave lines and smears. As mentioned, the best cloth to use on your mirror is a Microfiber cloth.
Microfiber cloths are perfect for eliminating debris on glass without streak, are machine washable, and stay effective even through launderings. A clean lint-free paper towel will also suffice if a microfiber cloth isn’t available.
To clean a mirror without streaks, do the following:
- First, clean the mirror with a microfiber cloth or alcohol to remove dust or debris.
- Then apply your cleaning solution. Subsequently, use a microfiber cloth to wipe the mirror’s surface in a zigzag manner, NOT CIRCULAR!
How To Clean a Mirror Without Windex?
Your first cleaning solution choice might be Windex. But what if the one you had just finished and you need the mirror cleaned immediately? We recommend the following options:
- Vinegar Solution
The acidic properties of vinegar make it useful in breaking down scum and dirt. To prepare a vinegar cleaning solution, mix an equal amount of white vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle, then add one teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Liquid Dish Soap
If you’re uncomfortable with the smell of vinegar, you can use this option. Mix liquid dish soap and warm water in a container, and you have a cleaning solution. Use a little amount of liquid soap to avoid streaking.
Alcohol is also a powerful cleaning agent as it can remove tough stains and germs.
- Shaving Cream
Shaving cream, not gel, can also replace Windex as your mirror cleaning solution. It also prevents fogging.
This is another excellent replacement for Windex as it contains baking soda. In addition, it can conveniently remove stains on the mirror.
What to Do if Your Mirror Is Foggy, Cloudy, or Hazy
Sometimes regular glass cleaners are ineffective when cleaning foggy, cloudy, or hazy mirrors. To effectively clean a cloudy mirror, use any of the following methods:
- Rub Alcohol: Alcohol can effectively clean a foggy mirror. Just dip cotton swabs into an alcohol solution and rub in a zig-zag motion.
- Vinegar Solution: Mix an equal amount of white vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle, then add one teaspoon of cornstarch. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe off the spray.
- Toothpaste and Shaving Cream: This method is cost-effective as you do not need to buy anything. Add a moderate amount of toothpaste or shaving cream on a microfiber cloth and wipe the mirror from edge to edge while avoiding any wood surrounding the mirror.
This article discussed different ways to clean a mirror properly. At Supreme Showers, we are experts in installing mirrors in homes or businesses in the Chicago area. We specialize in railings, bathroom, and shower mirrors. Contact us today for a free estimate.